Sunday, July 11, 2010

11 July 2010 - Romp around Gippsland


After an absolutely miserable Saturday, today was both sunny and mild and so about noon I set off on the cruiser for a romp around Gippsland. No real plan but headed in the general direction of Boolarra/Mirboo Nth via Churchill. When I reached Churchill I realised I had not had a look at the Monash Uni site for about 15 years so I took a quick detour. The campus has changed almost to the point of being unrecognisable since I taught there. The number of new buildings is incredible and of course the infamous Bini Shell is long gone. Must go and have a walk around one day. From here to Boolarra and up the windy back road to Mirboo Nth for a coffee at one of my favourites, the Bullock Dray Cafe. This little cafe has an external wall mural which combines a painted background with actual physical elements in the foreground. In the photo above the bushes and about two thirds of the bullock dray are real and blend seamlessly into the painted background. Quite a work of art. From here I headed down to Thorpdale and Trafalgar, crossed the railway line and headed up the back road to Westbury and then home via Yallourn North. The weather was quite mild although there were strong gusts of wind - all part of gaining experience.

Total Distance 150km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.