Tuesday, April 23, 2013

22 April - Trip to Queensland - Summary


Total Distance Covered ~ 4,500 km

The trip up the coast took 3 full days and a short ride on the 4th day.
The return trip (inland) took 4 full days.

In hindsight in future I would avoid the coast road because it forces you to travel many kilometers on extremely busy and fast moving freeways such as:

 - the Hume Highway from Mittagong to the M7
 - the M7
 - the Pacific Highway north of Sydney
 - the Gold Coast Highway from Tweed Heads to Brisbane
 - the Gateway Freeway around Brisbane
 - the Bruce Highway north of Brisbane.

The logistics of my trip were such that I hit each of these at very busy times.

The inland route via the Newell Highway is much more relaxing despite an occasional concentration of road trains.

Overall I found 4 days continuous riding, alone, to be pretty challenging. It would be a much better experience with a free day or the opportunity for sightseeing.

Another golden rule from this trip: riding at night on busy freeways is not advisable, and when it starts raining quickly becomes impossible. On a bike the vision required to change lanes safely in busy traffic is not there.

Overall, the experience was something like my experience of parachuting out of a plane - really glad I did it but not in a hurry to do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Raj’s Safe Driving School has well respected name and reputation by providing professional driving lesson with excellent customer service, honest, friendliness, patience with high percentage of licence test pass rate.
    Driving school | Driving Instructor Melbourne | Best driving school melbourne | Melbourne driving schools

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.