Friday, August 2, 2013

2 July - Sale and South Gippsland Highway

Woke up to a foggy morning which promised a sunny day. Rode the Honda to Sale for a bite to eat and a chance to take a look of a bit of local history. H.M. Prison Sale was built in 1887 and was always a source of morbid fascination when I first came to Gippsland as a teenager. Unlike a modern prison the site was almost totally obscured by a high and imposing brick wall which made it an eerie and fascinating place. It ceased operation in 1997 with the establishment of a new, privately owned facility nearby, and since that time has undergone a gradual process of demolition. All that remains now is a section of the front wall and the main gate. Not sure if this will be preserved as part of Sale's historical heritage, and so I thought I'd get a picture of it just in case.

After lunch the ride continued down the South Gippsland Highway, through Longford and past the Omega transmission tower which is still standing as a relic to the cold war and pre satellite era of communication. Turned right at the beach town of Woodside for a return trip through Gormandale.

Total Distance 177 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.