Saturday, May 2, 2015

2 May - Day 6 - Maroochydore - What a difference a day makes

Had a great night's sleep in Toowoomba last night. I shared a room with two other guys and we all had our clothes all over the place trying to get them dry for the morning - quite a humid environment. As it turned out it was a good thing we quit yesterday when we did. If we had continued we would have encountered major flooding on all the roads to Maroochydore. The Bruce Highway alone was unapassable in 5 places. We heard this morning that 5 people were killed in incidents where cars were swept from the road by floodwater. Instead we were sheltering in a nice motel and enjoying dinner in an Italian restaurant right across the road.
First thing I did when I woke up this morning was to grab the phone to check the rain radar. This is what greeted me.
At first I thought I must have chosen the wrong region but it was pleasant surprise to find the storm we encountered yesterday was gone. Sure enough when we mounted up this morning to finish the last 250km or so of our ride the weather became more pleasant the further we went and by the time we reached Maroochydore it was getting very warm.
Ready to leave Toowoomba (Photo Courtesy SRA)
After catching up with all our other SRA members it was time to check into our apartment, have a shower and put on some clean dry clothes. Immediately washed all the damp stuff and it's in the dryer right now.
Tonight's activities include 'barefoot bowls' (whatever that is) and dinner at the local Lawn Bowls club which located right here on the beach. Then tomorrow we have a quick AGM and when the formalities are finished we're off on a 'mystery' ride and Poker Run. Following that I'll be leaving the group to spend a few days with family in Gympie which is only an hour's ride from here. Then it will be time to plan the return trip home.

Total Distance 247 km

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.