Friday, August 14, 2015

14 August - Gympie, Qld

We arrived in Gympie at noon yesterday. Our van is parked on the front lawn of my sister's place and this is the part of the trip where we enjoy a few days of family catchup time. We enjoyed another beautiful sunny day here and this afternoon I wandered around the streets of Gympie looking to capture some of the architectural aspects. Gympie was a bustling gold mining town from the 1870's onwards and it shows in the quality of some of the civic buildings.
Of course over the last 70 or 80 years many of the old buildings have been covered up with ugly aluminium and glass facades but if you look up above the shops in the main street there are still quite a few verandahs with lacework ornamentation.
Really enjoyed just strolling around and chatting with some of the locals and capturing just the odd detail here and there.
We'll probably be here in Gympie until Tuesday morning when we move onto Noosa on the Sunshine Coast.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy looking up and seeing the details in old building. People miss so much by just looking level or at their phones.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.