Saturday, February 26, 2011

26 February 2011 - Day 3 of Tasmania Trip


Woke up at 9:45 in our accommodation in Strahan this morning. Bit of a rush to check out at 10:00, but we got there almost. Our immediate destination was Queenstown for fuel and breakfast. Queenstown was a mining town for many years but the mines are shut down now. Signs of decades of mining are everywhere and parts of it look like sets for a Mad Max movie. Had a nice egg and bacon roll and a surprisingly good coffee and then headed out of town. The road out of Queenstown is a very steep winding affair with spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and countryside. Our next intended stop was Derwent Bridge for more fuel and lunch. This was another spectacular ride. At the cafe in Derwent Bridge we met a bunch of Ducati riders heading the other way who warned us that due to various events, accommodation in Hobart was hard to find. We rang the usual places and found they were all booked out. In the end we managed to get a twin room on Sandy Bay Road and we are booked in here for two nights. Reached Hobart around 5:30 had showers and a couple of beers and then headed for Chillies Indian Restaurant across the road. It doesn't get much better than this.

Important day today - the first anniversary of getting the bike and my licence (L's). Yep, I've been riding for exactly 12 months. In that time the Honda and I have covered almost 18,000km and it's been everything I could have hoped for. The plan back then was to gain the skills and experience to undertake the Tasmania trip. Mission accomplished.

Total Distance since home: 1045 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.