Friday, January 16, 2015

16 January - Snowy Mountains Ride

At this time of the year, my mind usually turns to the idea of undertaking a longer motorcycle ride. I always enjoy all my day rides but I think the real excitement of motorcycling occurs when planning and execution of a ride that takes place over a few days and into unfamiliar territory.
Unfortunately our weather over the past few days had not been conducive to this idea with wet and windy weather prevailing. After carefully monitoring the BOM forecasts I decided that today was the day to undertake a ride I've been wanting to do for a long time - a ride through the Snowy Mountains. When I woke this morning the sun was shining and it was absolutely still. The bike was all packed and at 09:00 I fired up the Honda VT750 and headed east along Highway 1. The first stop was for fuel in Bairnsdale and this was followed by lunch at a cafe in Orbost. The highway was fairly quiet and the good weather continued. Another quick fuel stop in Cann River before turning on the Cann River Valley highway and north into New South Wales. My planned destination for this evening was Bombala and I reached it just before 3pm. Checked into the Imperial Hotel which still shows signs of its former glory. Time for a beer, or two.

After parking the bike in a secure undercover spot I had a quick shower and took a walk around the town. There's a great park along the river which features exhibits of old farm machinery - very interesting.



Just got back to my room after a great dinner in the Imperial Hotel. Chicken Sate Skewers with Spicy Noodles and a large bottle of Czech beer - absolutely fantastic.  

The plan is for a fairly early night and an early start for tomorrow - the plan is to ride to Corryiong on the Murray River.

Total Distance 360 km

2 comments:

  1. Lovely riding mate, wish I was there with you. You are in motorcycling nirvana. Maybe you should have held onto scooterbob for another week or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Looking forward to pics of day 2.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.