Woke early this morning to the sound of pouring rain. A quick check of the weather reports told the sad story. Storm and flood warnings lasting a few days centred on the area we were riding into. This left us with four options:
- ride on into potential floods and storms
- wait in Mallacoota until the weather improved
- turn North and cross the Great Dividing Range and hopefully outrun this system
- head back home and ride another day.
On the basis that we didn't need to be anywhere and that the prospect of 2 or three days in Mallacoota in the rain didn't appeal, we reluctantly decided to return home and ride another (more clement) day.
We donned the wet weather gear and started riding home. Initially the rain was quite heavy but eventually as we rode west it cleared to patchy showers and the last 100 km were in fine conditions.
After a quick coffee we arrived home around 2:45. We'll now look out for a 5 day stretch of good weather to try again.
Total Distance 365 km.