Saturday, August 6, 2011

6 August - Thomson Dam and Back and Beyond Walhalla

Set off this morning - a bit chilly and some drizzle - with Zane (KLX250) to explore the tracks around Thomson Dam and north of Walhalla. Stopped at Rawson to squeeze in some extra fuel and then off the the Thomson Dam wall where we stopped to stretch the legs (ease the pain in the bum). Then over the wall up Beardsmore track which eventually joins the road between Walhalla and Aberfeldy. Turned right towards Walhalla. The sign says 24 km but the road is in very poor shape with plenty of rock falls and lots of trees down across the road. Fortunately some 4WD's with chain saws had been there before us and cleared a path. I think we encountered everything, mud, gravel, rock falls, branches and bark all on a road which twists and winds and climbs mountains one minute and then plunges into valleys the next. Encountered a few hardy souls in 4x4's but generally it was pretty quiet. Just when you think your bum has given up the ghost, a wonderful sight - sealed road. Time for lunch and a bit of warmth in Walhalla.

Completed the trip home in a light drizzle, via Tyers. The new bike handled everything fine and I'm slowly getting used to slipping and sliding all over the place.

Total Distance 130 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.