Wednesday, May 6, 2015

6 May - Day 10 - Gympie to Coffs Harbour

Left Gympie this morning at 8:45 on another glorious, sunny day. All the thermal gear and jacket liners which were indispensable just a few days ago are now packed away. The first few hours of riding was all on freeways. First the Bruce Highway and then on to the M1 the Gold Coast Highway. Because it was such a nice day I decided to get off the highway which bypasses the Gold Coast and to enjoy cruising through this area which is all high rise holiday resorts and canals.
Finally the Gold Coast disappeared behind me as I crossed into New South Wales. Before long the countryside flattened out into sugar cane plantations and state forests. The plan for today was to reach the coastal town of Coffs Harbour and it was about 4:30 pm as I passed the famous "Big Banana" which I featured in my blog of the previous trip here (but going North instead of South).
11 April 2013 - Big Banana on BMW

I had hoped to stay at the Comfort Inn in Coff's because it features a Bavarian Restaurant in a replica Dutch windmill.
Unfortunately, when I got there it was booked out so I had to turn back to find another place to bed down for the night. Now settled into the Zebra Motel, which is owned by an African and the restaurant features an African theme. Very spicy and very good. Nice to have a change from the usual motel fare.
The bike is all fuelled for an early start tomorrow, and if the good weather holds out I'm aiming to leave at 7 am hoping to get to the other side of Sydney by tomorrow.

Total Distance 652km.

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos but the African themed restaurant looks interesting. What are the long, white items?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fries which looked like they had bed cut with a machete. Tasted great though.

      Delete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.