Saturday, June 6, 2015

6 June - Coal Creek Heritage Park

Back in April I visited the Old Gippstown heritage in Museum in Moe and posted a blog and photos.
The aim then was to combine a motorcycle ride with a local tourist attraction often overlooked by the locals, especially me. I continued the theme today by visiting the Coal Creek Heritage Park which is located in Korumburra on the site of a coal mine which operated from the 1880's until 1958. As always you can view a larger version of the photo by clicking on it.

Once again, I found a beautiful facility which houses buildings and equipment from Gippsland's past in attractive surroundings which make it a very interesting place for family visits. This incredible place, virtually on our doorstep opens for 4 days a week totally free of charge, and features a number of planned events during the year.

Amongst the many relics are the remains of the rail line and equipment which would have been used by the mine to export the coal.
Coal creek features many fine buildings - schools, stores, a courthouse and a church collected from the local region and lovingly restored by the volunteer workforce.



I was particularly impressed by the restoration of a coach builders workshop complete with all the tools. It's one of those crafts which has disappeared forever.

Altogether a great day and I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and an opportunity to visit again with other family members.

Total distance 260 km

6 comments:

  1. Wow, a neat place to visit.

    Awesome pictures too. Love the rich colors in that first one. You really do have an eye for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. Going out on the bike with the aim of capturing some good images is really enjoyable. It makes you slow down and really look.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a cool place indeed.

    You've gotta' love the controls in that old locomotive: Oh, the elegant complexity of the purely mechanical--those dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ry, agree with you about that. The same train also had some carriages with separate first class compartments. It immediately brought back the magic of train travel as I remember it. I'll go back with a wide angle lens and try to capture that.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful little town Theo. I like these little country towns they are a real treat to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a while you end up repeating the day long rides and I find lately I enjoy them a lot more when I think of a focus for the trip, like these heritage parks. This one is great - even the cafe was good.

      Delete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.